Welcome from chairs of the conference
We would like to welcome you to the 17th IWA Small Water and Wastewater Systems and 9th IWA Resource Oriented Sanitation joint conference to be held in Belo Horizonte, southeast Brazil, on 13-17 September 2020 at the Federal University of Minas Gerais – UFMG.
The conference seeks to bring together researchers, professionals and companies from different countries to discuss a selection of relevant themes (please, see ‘conference topics‘). It will surely be an exciting opportunity to exchange ideas, present your latest findings and discuss innovative solutions and possibilities related to the proposed topics.
We are looking forward to your contributions to this exciting conference.
Small water and wastewater systems
Sanitation solutions for rural communities
Eco-solutions for wastewater treatment
Nutrients removal and recovery
Management of sludge from water and wastewater systems
Energy efficiency in water and wastewater systems
Biogas management and energy recovery
- Odor control and carbon neutrality in wastewater systems
- Monitoring and removal of emerging contaminants and pathogens
- Water reuse (rain water harvesting, use of treated wastewater etc.)
- Microbial ecology and ecotoxicology
- Process modeling
- Management and planning tools (LCA, risk assessment, sustainability index, macro-planning etc.);
- Education, training and certification
Belo Horizonte city
Located in southeast Brazil, Belo Horizonte plays an important role in the country’s economy and industrial. It was elected by the UN as the metropolis with the best quality of life in Latin America and the 45th among the world Top 100. Currently, it is one of the most important StartUps and technology development centers in Brazil. It is also a cultural hub: Belo Horizonte has the greater open-air museum in the world. These characteristics, among others, make Belo Horizonte the perfect host to important events, such as the 17th IWA Small Water and Wastewater Systems and 9th IWA Resource Oriented Sanitation joint conference.
The event will take place at the Federal University of Minas Gerais (UFMG), in the School of Engineering, one of the most important technological centers in Brazil. Founded in 1911, it consists of a great complex of buildings that includes classrooms, laboratories, experimental centers, libraries, teaching activity centers, auditoriums and other facilities. Frequently pointed out by the Educations Rakings as one of the top 5 Brazilian universities, UFMG is well placed in the most diverse academic indicators. With approximately 50,000 students and 3,000 professors and researchers placed among 4 campi, the university also stands out for its high technological production, leading the ranking of deposited patents in Brazil in 2017.
Paula Paulo (chair)
Universidade Federal do Mato Grosso do Sul
Germán Buitrón (co-chair)
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
Israel Institute of Technology
Francis de los Reyes III
North Carolina State
Joseph V. Thanikal
RICS School of Built Environment Chair SWWS
Jules van Lier
Delft University of Technology
Juliana Calabria Araújo
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
Hoogheemraadschap van Delfland
Miguel Peña Varón
Universidad del Valle
Universidad de Valladolid
Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto
Asian Institute of Technology
* HIC: High Income Countries; LIC: Low income countries
* Check IWA High/low Income country classification here.
* Check the template for the abstract here.
* A student is defined as a holder of a student identification card, a registration document or a certificate from a recognised higher education institution or a holder of an international student card. Proof of student status is required and should be attached at the time of registration.
* Membership of IWA will be verified and membership status is not transferable. If you wish to apply for membership and get a registration discount, please visit: https://iwa-network.org/join/.
Registration Fees include
Admission to all Scientific Sessions, Keynotes, Opening and Closing Ceremonies, refreshment breaks and light lunches;
- Oral and poster presentations (accepted abstracts only);
- Admission to Welcome Reception;
- Program Timetable (hardcopy);
- One set of Conference Kit
- Certificate of attendance
Registration Fee of Accompanying Person includes
- Admission to Opening and Closing Ceremonies and Welcome Reception
- Dedicated tour program (to be defined)